Trying to stay healthy this holiday season, but love pie? Welcome to my world! A few of my clients asked me how to maintain their diets this Thanksgiving without giving up their entire meal, most importantly, dessert! My favorite healthy(-er) version of apple pie is this Caramel Apple “Pie.” I don’t know about you, but my favorite part of apple pie isn’t the crust, it’s the gooey and deliciously sweet cinnamony apples on the inside (omg I’m drooling). Check out the recipe below to wow your family (or eat the whole thing yourself, I saw nothing!).
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
4 green apples
8 (chewy) caramel squares
1 lemon wedge*
Vanilla Halo Top (for serving)
Caramel topping (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a medium baking dish with butter or coconut oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon
- Slice off the top of each apple and remove the core (you can use a teaspoon if you don’t have an apple corer).
- Rub the exposed apple with lemon, this will keep it from browning.*
- Using a paring knife, cut 3 circles in the top of the apple (think rings on a tree trunk). Don’t cut through the entire apple, you want the apple to stay together.
- Place the apple upside down (flat side with circle cuts on the cutting board) and cut inch-wide vertical slits from bottom to top.
- Place the apples in your greased baking dish. Place one (1) caramel chew in the center of each apple. Brush the melted butter and sugar mixture on top of the apple.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and caramel drizzle.